DIY garden decor tips that you can complete in one weekend
5 garden projects for your backyard
Backyard projects shouldn’t need a lot of work to look great. All they require is some creative thinking and the right supplies. From lawn laying, to healthy harvests, to aquatic additions, we’re sharing five of our best natural garden decor tips.
If you’ve got a a backyard project in mind, chat to the team at All Green Nursery & Garden Supplies. Our range of turf, plants and garden supplies is only matched by our outdoor expertise. We can help you get your DIY project off the ground.
1. Vegetable garden
Sustainable living is becoming more and more popular every year. Reap what you sow by planting a fruit, vegetable or herb garden.
• Root vegetables like carrots, beets, potatoes and onions grow year round.
• Freshly picked fruits and vegetables are a rare organic treat.
• Fresh herbs are an excellent addition to any home cook’s arsenal.
Our nursery has hundreds of high quality plants to choose from. It’s all about selecting what will work best for your preferences and backyard.
1. Based on how much space and sunlight your garden enjoys, choose the vegetables you’d like to grow.
2. Garden ponds
Turn a boring backyard garden into a thriving ecosystem in just one weekend by adding a pond or other small body of water.
• Aquatic plants are great at holding ponds together, providing oxygen and keeping your water clean.
• Add a garden bridge for a whimsical touch of fantasy, straight out of a children’s book.
• Bird feeders are also great attractions for established gardens.
• Water fountains and other features provide a nice centrepiece for your pond.
Setting up a garden pond can take a bit of work. Talk to an expert at All Green Nursery & Garden Supplies for the best products and methods to use in your new project.
3. Edging and retaining walls
Nature rarely deals in straight lines. Adding some to your backyard can provide a stunning visual contrast. Edging and retaining walls create practical borders between garden beds and grass.
• Sleepers keep everything at bay, and come in a variety of materials and styles.
• Retaining walls also provide places to sit, read and relax in the splendor of your own backyard.
• Larger retaining walls need council approval if over a certain height, so check before you build.
Before you get started, follow these steps:
1. Decide where you want to create an edge around your garden.
2. Choose a style and material of sleepers or edging for what you want to achieve.
3. Chat to the team at All Green Nursery & Garden Supplies about the best methods for your backyard project.
4. Gather your tools and some helping hands to get the job done.
4. Revitalise your lawn
It’s true that the grass is always greener on the other side. Brand new turf provides a splash of verdant colour and a comfortable outdoor space for children and pets to enjoy.
• Adding turf to a yard cools the interior of the entire home.
• Grass also absorbs neighbourhood noise and harmful CO2.
• Lawns are also the most durable prevention method against soil erosion.
There are several types of turf to choose from, each with their own benefits:
1. Sir Walter DNA Certified Buffalo handles heat, frost, drought and shade very well.
2. Eureka Kikuyu Premium VG is grown in Victoria for local conditions.
3. Tif Tuf Grass provides drought-resistant, dense coverage, now stocked at All Green Nursery and Garden Supplies.
4. Sir Grange is a newly available lawn solution, with a fine leaf blade and high shade tolerance.
5. Reelgrass Synthetic Grass is a great alternative to natural grass that is visually appealing and low maintenance.
Turf is always subject to availability, so be sure to call ahead. Talk to one of the team at All Green Nursery and Garden Supplies for tips on fertiliser and other lawn treatments.
5. Vertical wall gardens
Green walls are all the rage in the corporate world. You can make the most of your backyard and save on space by adding some upstanding lushness to your home.
• You’ll get the best results from our Vertical Wall Garden Black Pots.
• Add a hose-on liquid fertiliser to easily feed plants well above head height.
Here’s how to make a great vertical garden in a few easy steps:
1. Measure and cut the steel mesh to fit your wall.
2. Fill your pots with herbs, small vegetables, flowers or other plants – anything you desire.
4. Using brick wire, hang the plants from your frame.
4. Keep them well fed and watered with your liquid fertiliser.
Visit All Green Nursery & Garden Supplies
If you’d like some more information, or have something else in mind for your backyard project, don’t hesitate to contact the team at All Green Nursery & Garden Supplies. Our alfresco experts can help you turn your garden decor from an afterthought into a centrepiece.